Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. area), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself, follow the Mold Cleanup Tips and Techniques. However:
- If there has been a lot of water damage, and/or mold growth covers more than 10 square feet, consult EPA guide Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings. Although focused on schools and commercial buildings, this document is applicable to other building types.
- If you choose to hire a contractor (or other professional service provider) to do the cleanup, make sure the contractor has experience cleaning up mold. Check references and ask the contractor to follow the recommendations in EPA guide Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, the guidelines of the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH); Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC); or other guidelines from professional or government organizations. Bio-One of Alabama is one such company, and will come out to give any Alabama homeowner a free estimate, by calling them at (205) 937-1708 or visiting their website at www.bioonealabama.com.
- If you suspect that the heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) system may be contaminated with mold (it is part of an identified moisture problem, for instance, or there is mold near the intake to the system), consult EPA guide Should You Have the Air Ducts in Your Home Cleaned? before taking further action. Do not run the HVAC system if you know or suspect that it is contaminated with mold - it could spread mold throughout the building.
- If the water and/or mold damage was caused by sewage or other contaminated water, then call in a professional who has experience cleaning and fixing buildings damaged by contaminated water.
- If you have health concerns, consult a health professional before starting cleanup, and call Bio-One of Alabama for a free estimate of the true nature of your mold situation. With three office locations in Huntsville, Birmingham and Montgomery, Bio-One is Alabama's leading mold expert.
Tips and Techniques
The tips and techniques presented in this section will help you clean up your mold problem. Professional cleaners or remediators may use methods not covered here. Please note that mold may cause staining and cosmetic damage. It may not be possible to clean an item so that its original appearance is restored.
- Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible. Dry all items completely.
- Scrub mold off hard surfaces with detergent and water, and dry completely.
- Absorbent or porous materials, such as ceiling tiles and carpet, may have to be thrown away if they become moldy. Mold can grow on or fill in the empty spaces and crevices of porous materials, so the mold may be difficult or impossible to remove completely.
- Do not paint or caulk moldy surfaces. Clean up the mold and dry the surfaces before painting. Paint applied over moldy surfaces is likely to peel.
- If you are unsure about how to clean an item, or if the item is expensive or of sentimental value, you may wish to consult a specialist. Specialists in furniture repair, restoration, painting, art restoration and conservation, carpet and rug cleaning, water damage, and fire or water restoration are commonly listed in phone books. Be sure to ask for and check references. Look for specialists who are affiliated with professional organizations.
Places that are often or always damp can be hard to maintain completely free of mold. If there's some mold in the shower or elsewhere in the bathroom that seems to reappear, increasing ventilation (running a fan or opening a window) and cleaning more frequently will usually prevent mold from recurring, or at least keep the mold to a minimum.
When in doubt, contact Bio-One of Alabama for a free mold analysis of your home.
*This blog post is inspired by material used from this original EPA article
mold removal huntsville al
mold remediation huntsville al
mold clean up huntsville al
mold cleanup huntsville al
mold restoration huntsville al
mold removal company huntsville al
mold removal companies huntsville al
mold cleaning services huntsville al
mold testing huntsville al
mold removal birmingham al
mold remediation birmingham al
mold clean up birmingham al
mold cleanup birmingham al
mold restoration birmingham al
mold removal company birmingham al
mold removal companies birmingham al
mold cleaning services birmingham al
mold testing birmingham al
mold removal montgomery al
mold remediation montgomery al
mold clean up montgomery al
mold cleanup montgomery al
mold restoration montgomery al
mold removal company montgomery al
mold removal companies montgomery al
mold cleaning services montgomery al
mold testing montgomery al